Welcome to TK Cycling

If you're new here, check the archive for all of my postings, and check out my new "TK fact of the week" column. I will be posting as often as possible about races, training, life, and anything I can think of, so please come back soon, and make sure to leave a comment if you have any questions, concerns, or ideas for future topics (or maybe comments?)
Thanks for visiting and enjoy!

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Enlighten Thyself (Or Just Have a Good Time)

For those of you out there that have never seen a real live bike race in person - felt the rush of wind as the riders fly by at 30mph, heard the cowbells ringing on the final lap - Your time is coming. Two weeks from yesterday, Saturday, March 21st, I will be competing in the Land Park Criterium, a circuit race taking place in William Land Park across the street from the Zoo in Sacramento. The Pro/Elite event, which I will be riding in, starts at 4:30 pm.

This race is great for spectators, as the loop is less than a mile long, quite wide open, and the racers complete about 30 laps, so anyone in the audience can see just about all of the action, from start to finish. It is always a fast and aggressively contested race, with a good atmosphere, and average speeds around 30 mph. And of course after the race, if you haven't had enough fun, you could always walk over to Funderland and ride the WWII fighter planes (a child favorite - you just might find me there as well).

This will, for all intents and purposes, be my first race back since last season, and is one of the few races in the Sacramento area that I will be riding in this year. If there are any of you that had wanted to come out and see one of my races this year, this is the one. I would really appreciate any home-towners I could get rooting for me, as I will be riding without the support of any teammates. I've been doing this race every year since began cycling, and I'm really looking forward to getting out there and testing myself a bit against some local talent.

This race is also one of the few around here that has a great lineup of kids and junior races. For aspiring Armstrongs from ages 5 to 18, there are free races that anybody can compete in. These races range from 1 mile for the ankle-biters to about 15 miles for the juniors aged 14-18. No need to have a fancy racing bike here, just a good attitude and two wheels. There's no better way to get a kid hooked on the healthy habit of cycling than letting them experience the thrill of a real race. It only took one race for me to decide that I wanted to be a bike racer. You never know how many other kids there are out there that just need to get their feet wet... Bring 'em out!

Check out all the info for the race right HERE.

Looking forward to seeing a big crowd out there...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Taylor GOOD LUCK at the land park criterium! I have also been training on the buttes with my dad who is ironically Dj from the cycling group that goes with you up in the buttes so I can go in the criterium at the age 9-12 category.

    ReplyDelete

Hit CountersRank Noodle