Welcome to TK Cycling

If you're new here, check the archive for all of my postings, and check out my new "TK fact of the week" column. I will be posting as often as possible about races, training, life, and anything I can think of, so please come back soon, and make sure to leave a comment if you have any questions, concerns, or ideas for future topics (or maybe comments?)
Thanks for visiting and enjoy!

Friday, January 23, 2009

Am I losing my mind!??

I will be sure to finish up the 2008 recap soon, but something so strange happened on my ride this morning I just couldn't wait to share. The gist of it is that I believe I rode my bike through some sort of a hole in the space-time continuum today. This distortion of reality seems to be located somewhere in the foothills above Oroville, CA.


It all started quide ordinarily. I got on my bike at about 7:45 am, rode off to meet Jason B, and we headed up toward Loma Rica for a four-hour or so ride. Things got weird when we decided to take a left and head south at a T-intersection southeast of Oroville to head back toward home. Last week, we went right and rode north a good ways before dropping into Oroville, so this time I figured going left would send us south, away from Oroville, back down into the valley toward Gridley. After turning left at this T, we proceeded to get very lost, as I missed the road that I knew would get us into the valley (by now it is also raining very hard- go figure). We took another left to head south, figuring that this way we would at least be heading in the right direction, away from Oroville, and back home. Somehow, after riding south (or so we thought) for about 20 minutes, we came to a town. It was Oroville, and we ended up in the exact same part of downtown Oroville that we had come into last week, after riding north from this now infamous intersection. How could this be possible? Both Jason and I spent the whole rest of the ride wondering what had happened. Maybe I lost my bearings after two 4+ hour rides in the pouring rain. Since that explanation is both boring and makes me sound incredibly weak, I am sticking to my theory that we simply rode through some sort of a spacetime disturbance, maybe a wormhole or the like.

So, now you know, there is a tear in the spacetime fabric somewhere near Oroville. If you want to become utterly confused, and have your training ride lenthened considerably by getting really lost, head out there and don't say I didn't warn you. Otherwise, stay in the valley and enjoy the perfectly smooth spacetime.

1 comment:

  1. I've found myself in that exact spacetime warp myself, riding into downtown Oroville when I thought I was bypassing around it to the south, so I know the feeling. If Jason hadn't left our rendezvous site at the 5th St bridge to ride up the levee to meet you Friday, I wouldn't have missed you guys and would have been there (being towed as usual)to keep you guys from getting forever lost. Glad you made it out of the spacetime warp alive, and even more amazed that you made it out of downtown Oroville with your new Trek beneath you!
    Nelson

    ReplyDelete

Hit CountersRank Noodle