Welcome to TK Cycling

If you're new here, check the archive for all of my postings, and check out my new "TK fact of the week" column. I will be posting as often as possible about races, training, life, and anything I can think of, so please come back soon, and make sure to leave a comment if you have any questions, concerns, or ideas for future topics (or maybe comments?)
Thanks for visiting and enjoy!

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Farewell to Sanity

Today was my first day of classes at Yuba College, which I went into still undecided about whether or not I would actually be going through with school this semester, considering the huge amount of time I will be spending on the road this racing season, and the 20-30 hours a week I will be devoting to training. After a few long discussions with my professors, I have, for some reason, decided to stay a full-time student for this season. I will also, of course, be a full-time cyclist. Somehow right now I'm thinking being 'full-time' at two things at once will probably leave me looking for more time in the day. I suppose it is possible though, through some clever mathematics, to budget this all out and still come out on top. I have thus come up with the following equation:
2 x (full time) x (1/2-ass) = 1(full time)

Unfortunately, I can't really afford to be half-assing anything this year, so I will be stuck with being extremely busy. As a racing mate of mine would say, I just might be making regular trips into the pain cave. (Watch out for continued usage of this wonderfully descriptive little phrase)
This is all made worse by the fact that my classes are right in the middle of the day, which means I will rarely have time for a good long ride, and I will have to take up doing two-a-day workouts to get in enough hours on the bike.

All that said, I should be able to pull it off, as I have been doing for the past couple of years. I may just be prolonging the inevitable I guess, as I will surely have to abandon school at some point if things really go my way with cycling, but for now I really want to keep my mind sharp and stay on track for my engineering degree. I know I will eventually have to give up bike racing for a living, and I don't quite think I have the panache to make it as a Bob Roll-type TV personality. After all, I wouldn't be a true pro in the Belgian tradition if I didn't retire to a desk job and gain 100 pounds.

1 comment:

  1. you are cracking me up... 2xfulltimex1/2ass... i love it. we, your former dbcjrt mates, are all proud of you and know that if anybody can 1/2ass something and still come out on top it is you... besides, you don't have to worry about maintanence on your bike anymore, pro-boy. that should save you about 40 hours of misery/week.

    be following you close this year...

    sw

    ReplyDelete

Hit CountersRank Noodle